Winter Crops Day program. Topics covered include:
- Scott Wells will discuss U of M research on establishing cover crops in a corn and soybean production system. This will include examining which plant species are suitable for cover crops, how to plant these species and how to terminate them for corn or soybean production. He will also discuss plant species that can not only provide ground cover but a marketable oilseed as well.
- Lizabeth Stahl will discuss methods of balancing weed control in corn and soybeans to allow establishment of cover crops during the growing season. Herbicide choices can be limited when soil residual activity can impede establishment of cover crops. She will provide information on which herbicides are more active on certain species and help provide cover crop choices based on weed management strategies.
- Axel Garcia y Garcia will present research findings about the effect of cover crops on water use and nitrogen leaching in corn and soybean cropping systems.
- Dan Kaiser will discuss soil test values for potassium and how these soil test values can be used to decide how much additional fertilizer may be necessary. He will also look at how fertilizer applications can maintain soil test levels for potassium and how quickly soil test values can fall without additional fertilizer.
- Jeff Vetsch will summarize U of M trials that examine how potassium fertilization can effect corn and soybean production on various soils across southern Minnesota.
CEUs for Certified Crop Advisors have been applied for.